Worlds come in two different file types. If you have a .mcworld folder / file, please continue to read this tutorial. If you have a .mcpack folder / file, you can install those simply by opening the file with Minecraft Pocket Edition, as Mojang directly can import those without use of an external program.
However, .mcworld installations are more complex, and do require a file explorer (we use iFunBox, built for Windows & Mac). There are many of file explorers you can use from the App Store and Play Store, however we don’t officially condone any from either of those stores, so our tutorial will be based off of iFunBox.
- We’ll need to start off by downloading and installing iFunBox. You can download the program from their official website (http://www.i-funbox.com/), but we’ve added direct download links for both Windows and Mac below.
Windows: http://dl.i-funbox.com/ifunbox_setup.exe?7/8/2015.exe (this may be outdated, please check their official site for the most up to date link)
Mac: http://dl.i-funbox.com/mac/ifunboxmac.dmg?2/3/2016.dmg (this may be outdated, please check their official site for the most up to date link)
- Go ahead and plug your device into your computer using the connection cable, most commonly the connection cable is the same as the cable you use to charge your device with.
- You’ll need to find a map to install at this point, thankfully Minecraft Hub has thousands to offer. We’ve added a link for your convenience to view all PE maps on our site: http://minecrafthub.com/pe/maps
- After finding an awesome map to install, if you haven’t already, open iFunBox and navigate to the “File Explorer” tab.
- You should see your device name on the left hand navigation column, double click on your device name, and then on the main navigation area, click “User Applications”.
- Under the ‘iTunes File Sharing” title, you should see a list of all your installed applications. Find the Minecraft PE icon and click on it, then select “Open Sandbox”.
- At this point, you should see a few folders. Find the one called “games”, double click on it to open it, and then double click com.mojang, and then finally double click to enter “minecraftWorlds”.
In this folder, you’ll see a list of all the worlds / maps you have installed on your device. You’ll need to uncompress/unzip the zipped folder you downloaded when you downloaded the world. We’ve linked tutorials below on how to do this:
Mac: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-zip-and-unzip-files-and-folders-on-a-mac-2260188 (reference the "Unzipping a File“ section)
- Once you have your world unzipped, simply paste it into your “minecraftWorlds” folder on iFunBox, you can also drag and drop the folder.
At this point, you’ve successfully installed a Minecraft Pocket Edition map. Restart your game, and you’ll be able to play on your world.